Easter is a time for indulging in sweet treats, and what better way to celebrate the season than with a batch of warm and fluffy cinnamon rolls? This recipe is a twist on the classic cinnamon roll recipe, with the addition of Easter-themed ingredients like raisins and orange zest.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 cup milk, warmed
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 tbsp orange zest
For the filling:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp ground cinnamon
For the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, and yeast.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the warmed milk, melted butter, and eggs.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until a sticky dough forms.
- Knead the dough for 5-7 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover with a damp towel, and let it rise in a warm place for about 1 hour, until doubled in size.
- In a small bowl, mix together the softened butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon to make the filling.
- Once the dough has risen, punch it down and roll it out on a floured surface into a rectangle.
- Spread the filling evenly over the dough, leaving a 1-inch border around the edges.
- Sprinkle the raisins and orange zest over the filling.
- Roll the dough up tightly from the long end, and pinch the edges together to seal.
- Cut the roll into 12 even slices and place them in a greased 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Cover the rolls with a damp towel and let them rise for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Bake the rolls for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- While the rolls are baking, whisk together the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract to make the glaze.
- Once the rolls are done baking, let them cool for a few minutes before drizzling the glaze over the top.
These Easter cinnamon rolls are the perfect way to add some sweetness to your holiday celebration. The raisins and orange zest add a burst of fruity flavor to the classic cinnamon filling, and the glaze gives them a perfect finishing touch. Enjoy them warm and fresh out of the oven for a delicious Easter treat!