Valentine’s Day is a special occasion to show love and appreciation to your significant other, friends, and family. Whether you’re looking to cook a romantic dinner or just want to enjoy a comforting meal together, a bowl of vegetable soup is a perfect option.
Not only is it easy to make, but it’s also healthy, filling, and versatile. Here’s a simple and delicious recipe for vegetable soup that’s sure to please everyone at the table.
Rural Mom’s Vegetable Soup Recipe
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
1 zucchini, diced
2 stalks of celery, diced
1 large potato, peeled and diced
1 can of diced tomatoes (14.5 ounces)
4 cups of vegetable broth
2 teaspoons of dried thyme
1 teaspoon of dried basil
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup of chopped kale or spinach (optional)
1 cup of cooked and drained chickpeas or white beans (optional)
- In a large pot, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the carrots, celery, potato, zucchini, and diced tomatoes to the pot and stir to combine.
- Pour in the vegetable broth, add the thyme and basil, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and let the soup simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- If using kale or spinach, add it to the pot in the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- If using chickpeas or white beans, add them to the soup in the last 2-3 minutes of cooking.
- Serve hot, garnished with chopped fresh parsley or grated parmesan cheese if desired.
Make the recipe your own
The beauty of this recipe is that you can customize it to your liking by using your favorite vegetables and adding any extra ingredients that you enjoy. Whether you prefer a thicker or thinner soup, a smoother or chunkier texture, you can easily adjust the consistency by adding more broth or pureeing some of the vegetables.
This recipe is also a great way to use up any leftover vegetables that you have in the fridge. Simply chop them up and add them to the pot!
Want more comforting soup recipes? Check out: 8 Great Soups to Warm Your Winter Up!
A bowl of vegetable soup is a warm and comforting way to celebrate Valentine’s Day. Whether you’re looking for a romantic dinner or just want to spend quality time together, this recipe is perfect for any occasion. So why not make a big pot of vegetable soup and enjoy a cozy and relaxing Valentine’s Day with your loved ones!